Home Intermodal Black Sea ports see cargo volumes rise

Black Sea ports see cargo volumes rise

Black Sea ports see cargo volumes rise

More cargo passed through several container terminals in the Black Sea region this year, with countries such as Romania, Ukraine, Russia and Bulgaria witnessing a significant increase.

In total, TEUs handled by port authorities in Ukraine, Romania, Russia and Bulgaria, excluding transshipments, amounted to more than 1.4 million units (1,472,826) in the first half of 2018. Overall, officials noticed an increase of around 9.25%, or close to 400,000 units (from 1,084,213 back in 2017).

This being said, the most significant increase came for the port authorities in Ukraine, with 17.32% more TEUs processed, followed by Georgia (14.66%) and Bulgaria (6.05%).

Out of all the full containers handled by workers at the Black Sea ports, 56.58% were destined for import, while the remaining 43.42% went for export. Furthermore, 26.39% of all TEUs were empty.

Regarding the region’s leaders, the DPW container terminal in Constanța (Romania) remains the best in terms of total volume handled, followed by NUTEP (Novorossiysk, Russia), APMT Poti (Georgia), CTO (Odessa, Ukraine) and NLE (Novorossiysk, Russia). All the top-five terminals achieved volume growth, compared to numbers in the first half of 2017.